If there is a roach infestation in your house, you will eventually want to know the answer to this question- Do cockroaches bite?
And, if yes, then what does a cockroach bite look like?
So, let’s take a look at the cockroach bites, symptoms, and how to treat roach bites.
More importantly, let’s also further discuss what to do in case of roach infestation, which could lead to too many of these buggers biting you and causing allergies.
So, in a nutshell, how can you prevent roach bites?
Let’s find out.
Do Roaches Bite Humans?
There are cases when researchers found that roaches can eat the human flesh of both living and dead ones but, this happens in very rare cases.
In normal situations, cockroaches don’t bite living human beings; they bite only when there is a minimal quantity of food and a heavy infestation.
When the infestation grows, the food becomes insufficient for them, and they try to bite everything they can eat.
So, if there is another food source available in your house like rotting food in the garbage cans, little insects, food items, then roaches won’t bite you.
You can expect a cockroach bite on your leg or hand only if there is a heavy roach infestation in your house, and they don’t get food to eat.
If the infestation grows, make sure you call the pest control professionals or use the DIY methods to control the roach infestation in your house.
Most cases that have been reported are from ships; there are many cases when the roach population grows so much that sailors had to wear gloves to get protection from roaches that can bite their fingers.
Does American Cockroach Bite?
Yes, American roaches can bite you, but, as told earlier, there are very fewer chances that the infestation will reach that level when there is a scarcity of food for them.
What about German Roaches?
Yes, German roaches can also bite you, just like the American roaches; however, just like the American roaches, there needs to be a shortage of food.
Where Do Cockroach Bites?
They are most likely to bite on fingernails, hands, and feet; but, it totally depends on the mood of these crawling insects.
Do Cockroach Bites Hurt?
Now, you know that these crawling insects can bite you, so it is a perfectly normal question to ask whether roach bites hurt.
However, there is no perfect answer to that question.
It all depends on the roach that bites you and the level of pain you can tolerate; their bites usually feel like a pinch just like the ant bites.
But, some studies show that they can bite you with extreme force; in fact, they are capable of biting you with a force of 50 times stronger than their own weight.
What Does a Cockroach Bite Look Like?
It becomes difficult to judge what insect has bitten you.
You may be thinking, what does a roach bite look like?
Therefore, I think it is important to check these pictures of roach bite marks.
Roach Bites Images
Common Cockroach Bite Signs & Symptoms
There are many pests that we found in our day to day life and, many of them bite.
- The most common symptoms of roach bite marks are red bumps; usually, these are larger than mosquito bites.
- If you scratch them, then this will make the condition worse, and it can also lead to other complexities.
- Red Skin and rashes.
- An asthma attack can also be experienced by people who have Asthma.
What Happens if a Cockroach Bites You?
There can be various symptoms when a cockroach bites you. This can be discussed as follows
- There can be a bit larger red bumps on your skin which are also considered primary symptoms.
- It will also cause redness in the area.
- There can be skin rashes.
- It also causes swelling in the infected area.
- A cluster of bumps may also appear at the site of the bite over time.
Do Roach Bites Itch?
Yes, roaches bite itch and can sometimes be mistaken for other biting insects.
Like other insects, cockroach’s bites also cause itchy red marks on your skin.
Diseases Caused By Roaches
Roaches don’t transmit diseases from their bites; But, still, their presence in your house can make you ill.
Therefore, it becomes essential to pay attention to the cockroach infestation in your house, not just because roaches can bite you or your dog & cat, but also because they can spread diseases.
The most common diseases they spread directly or indirectly are:
- Escherichia coli
- Poliomyelitis Virus
These diseases can have a terrible impact on your health; therefore, make sure you take some proper steps to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Treatment of Cockroach Bites
If you wake up in the morning, and you found that you are bitten by a cockroach, then the first thing you should do is to see the bite carefully and find whether it is a really a cockroach bite or not.
If you found that, it is a roach bite, and then don’t rub or press the infected area.
First of all, wash it with soap and clean water; you can also use the alcohol to wash the affected area.
Bites of roaches are not deadly and don’t cause any serious diseases; but, they can cause allergies and some other infections, and therefore, it becomes essential that, if you get a roach bite on your body part, visit a doctor instead of neglecting it.
So, if there is an infestation in your home, you collect all the necessary information about roaches; this will definitely help you.
And, if you see baby cockroaches crawling in your house, then it is a clear indication that there are roaches present in your house.
Before trying any DIY methods, you should consult with an exterminator; as per your house conditions, they may charge an affordable price; there is nothing wrong with consulting with them.
You can check these images of baby roaches that will help you to identify them; if you find them, then there is a need to take a strict step as soon as possible.
How to Prevent Roach Bites
To avoid roach bites, you need to avoid cockroaches from dwelling in your house and other places.
Cockroaches, as we know, love filth and are especially attracted to rotten smells and leftover food; poor living habits and conditions encourage cockroaches.
So these are some of the basic things you need to do to keep these pests away:
- You need to keep a clean house and maintain it simultaneously, especially in areas where you do cooking and cleaning; you must regularly pay more attention to your kitchen and dining area.
- Avoid eating in your bedrooms as small crumbs falling here, and there can lead to cockroaches and other insects; and the bedroom is one place you don’t want them.
- You also need to keep your trash bins clean and dispose of the trash regularly and safely; undisposed and open trash can attract cockroaches and in a large number
- If you spot any cockroach eggs, take immediate action and dispose of them by using an insecticide or other treatment; these eggs are very small in size so you need to pay more attention, especially in their dwelling places.
- Cracks, gaps, and crevices anywhere in your house should be immediately looked after and filled up since these are the places where they choose to dwell and lay their eggs.
- Water encourages cockroach breeding; that is why you see them more often in the toilets, bathroom, and sinks in your kitchen; you must keep these places clean and dry after using them.
- Avoid storing things in piles like newspapers, magazines, dirty dishes, etc.; these are places, if not kept clean, which will lead to cockroaches and their dwelling.
- Hire an exterminator- this is the surest way of keeping the cockroaches away as they have all the required sources and tools to keep the cockroaches at bay; they can easily recognize cockroach nests and get rid of the cockroach infestation problem for you for good.
If you have cockroach bites, you have a severe problem with the cockroach infestation; therefore, you need to follow all the steps mentioned above diligently.
Most importantly, keep your house squeaky clean, especially your sleeping area that is your bedroom and other places you sleep.
Exterminate Roaches with Professional Pest Control Services
If you get roach bites, then it’s a clear indication that there is a severe roach infestation in your apartment.
And while you can take all the help from the best roach traps and killers to eliminate these roaches, it is highly recommended to hire a licensed exterminator for the infestation problem.
To know more about them, fill the below-mentioned form to get free multiple quotes from the professional Pest Control Companies in your vicinity so that you can decide which one to hire for your infestation problem.
Don’t worry; all your personal details are completely safe here! And by filling the form, at least, you’ll know how much you will have to pay if you take the help of your local exterminators.
To sum it up, cockroaches need food and water to survive, and if you make sure that they don’t have access to these things in your home, you will be able to prevent them altogether.
Although roaches can live without food and water for a couple of weeks, eventually, they start getting restless, and due to the absence of food, they start biting.
If you have roaches biting you, you have a much bigger problem on your hand i.e. a roach infestation.
While you can use various roach foggers and traps, it’s better to hire a professional exterminator and curb the problem altogether in the case of extreme infestation.
Have a great day and a roach-free year ahead!