Catnip for Roaches: Does Catnip Repel or Kill Roaches
We all know that roaches are disgusting little insects that infest our homes and spreads all kinds of serious diseases and allergies. If the infestations are not treated, these roaches can multiply at an alarming rate. Therefore, it is extremely important to detect and eliminate roach infestations as soon as possible.
Now, there are plenty of ways to expel roaches from your house. One of the most simple and easily available options is using catnip for roach control. To help you understand better, you will find everything you need to know about using catnip to repel roaches in this article.
Does Catnip Repel Roaches
In simple words, yes! Catnip is an excellent natural roach repellent. It belongs to the mint family and contains chemical nepetalactone, which is a substance that roaches are very sensitive to. Therefore, using catnip is an excellent way to keep roaches away.
Does Catnip Kill Roaches
No, catnip can only repel roaches, but it won’t kill them. The chemical nepetalactone in catnip confuses their nerves causing them to lose their sense of direction. This is why roaches steer clear to catnips and are repelled by the area wherever it is placed.
How to Make Catnip Roach Repellent?
Catnip is a plant that makes feline creatures go funny. The best way to use this catnip plant against roaches is by making a tea out of it and then using it as a spray. The best part is, you only need catnip leaves and some water to make this tea. Given below are DIY instructions on how to make a catnip tea on your own to repel roaches at home.
- Boil some water in a container
- Put catnip tea leaves in the boiling water
- Make sure that the catnip stays inside the boiling water for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Once done, stop the heating and allow the water to cool down
- Pour the solution in the spray bottle and use as intended
In any case, remember that this spray won’t kill roaches, and will only drive them away. Therefore, using catnip is best recommended only after you have made some serious effort to exterminate the roach infestation at your house. This way, you can make sure that the roach infestation never returns to your place.
How to Use Catnip to Repel Roaches
Catnip and roaches are like the two opposite ends of the magnet. Catnip belongs to the mint family and contains a chemical called nepetalactone, which is very effective in repelling roaches. However, if not used properly, catnip can be completely useless in driving away roaches. Given below are two main ways in which you can use catnip to get rid of roaches.
Placing Catnip Leaves Strategically
Catnip leaves, even in their naturally occurring form, are great roach repellents. If you want to drive away roaches that are infesting your home with catnip leaves, then follow the instructions below.
- The first step is to locate and identify the active areas where you find roaches often
- Once you have identified and marked the locations, put catnip leaves in an open container and place the container strategically in areas where you frequently find roaches
- You can also randomly spread catnip leaves around the active regions
- Make sure that children and pets are away from the placement as it can cause stomach pain, irritation, and other problems when ingested
- Replace the leaves every day till you see no more roaches
Using Catnip Spray Roach Repellent
Now that you know how to make a catnip spray to repel roaches, you should also know how to use it effectively. In any case, the best way to drive away roaches using this spray is by applying the spray directly on roaches. Follow the steps given below to make the best use of catnip spray in repelling roaches.
- Identify the locations in your home where roaches frequently appear
- Spray the catnip tea in and around the active areas
- If you see a roach crawling, spray it directly on the roach
- If you see an infestation growing, then locate the roach eggs and spray the catnip tea on them as well
- Use regularly to get rid of roaches completely
How Much a Decent Exterminator Will Charge for Your House?
Fill this form, and you’ll get free quotes from the trusted exterminators in your local area. Don’t worry; your personal information is safe. At least, you’ll know how much you will have to pay if you take the help of your local exterminators.
Even in the year 2020, roaches are a common problem. They infest the damp areas from where the food is easily available and become the source of many diseases, including some serious allergies and illness.
Therefore, it becomes extremely necessary to treat roach infestations as soon as possible. One of the best ways to perform pest control for roaches is by using catnip. All the information given above is authentic and following the instructions given will surely help you get rid of the cockroaches.